Yep! It’s not an industry that immediately springs to mind when you’re thinking of clients that could have R&D. However, many practitioners can and do make R&D Tax Claims.
If you have dental professionals as clients, it is likely they will be unaware of this generous relief. Working very long hours and under a lot of pressure, time is rarely on their side. As you will have experienced with many clients it can be difficult for them to take a step back and see what they do as R&D, not just daily work!
What type or projects can Dentists claim for?
Here is a list of example projects in the dental profession that could qualify for R&D Tax Relief:
- Researching and trialling new techniques
- Developing new treatments & services
- Developing software to support the business
- Technological advances in 3D printing
- Technological Advancements Drawing In Dental Labs
- Projects aimed at improving clinical results and success rates
- New bonding materials and processes
- Research into different bone grafting techniques
- Trials in decontamination
What R&D Tax Relief Scheme is available?
Dental Practices are normally Small to Medium Enterprises, or SMEs as we know them. As such, R&D projects are eligible for SME R&D Tax Relief Scheme.
These practices could be claiming back up to £33 for every £100 spent on Research and Development.
How do I know if my client is eligible?
To be eligible clients need to be trading as a limited company and satisfy these two key criteria:
- Making a considerable improvement to existing technology: This does not always mean it is ground-breaking work. If a business is working to make their products, services, or processes, faster, less expensive, or better in some way, then this may be eligible for R&D tax relief.
- Overcoming technological challenges: Especially where the solution is not immediately obvious to a qualified professional.
If you’ve got dental clients you’d like to reach out to, we’ve developed a toolkit with all the resources you’ll need. At the moment this toolkit is reserved for Radish and Diagnostax customers but do drop us an email at email@example.com if you’re interested in downloading the toolkit.